|Nokia Drop Box|
The folks over at Nokia Beta Labs have been busy as usual, this time releasing Nokia Drop. This application/plugin is similar to the “chrome-to-phone” tool for Android, but still in the experimental phase and has limited functionality right now. You can send a picture or web address from your Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox web browser to your Symbian phone without first having to connect via usb or bluetooth.
The transfer is pushed via WiFi or your data connection. Once you install the application you are connected. You must also install a plugin in your browser that lets it easily send pictures, web url, or a wallpaper and it should arrive on your phone’s screen instantly, depending on your data connection. The wallpaper feature is very cool. It happens seamlessly without any prompts on your device. Your wallpaper switches automatically.
In my experience I was already signed in on both ends of Nokia Drop, my N8 and the Google Chrome browser. Very cool Nokia! This is how everything should work!
Here is a video overview of Nokia Drop that Beta Labs posted earlier today…
Nokia Drop is a simple and easy way to push content to your device. With it you can:
- Change your phone’s wallpaper
- Send image as a file to your phone
- Send URL to your phone
Nokia Drop uses Push Notifications, so no cable or Bluetooth connection is needed.
Supported devicesNokia Drop is compatible with S60 5th Edition and Symbian^3 devices. Nokia Drop has been tested to work with X6-00, 5228, 5230, 5235 Ovi Music Unlimited, 5530 Exp Music, C6-00, N97, N97 mini, N8-00, C6-01, C7-00, E7-00, 5233, c5-03, 5800
- You need to install both: browser extension and mobile client to use this service.
- You don´t need to install ONSP packet first for S1 devices. Smart Installer will detect the newest version over the air during installation.
- You don´t need to uninstall anything from device before updating the Nokia Drop application.
- Make sure you have active data connection or you are in reach of WLAN coverage during the installation process. Installation uses Symbian Smart Installer, which will download and install required components if needed. Additional download may be required based on your phone configuration.
- To install browser extension just visit this page with Chrome or Firefox and click on installation button below.
- In Firefox 3.6 service icon may not appear automatically after installation. You can add it by customizing toolbar and drag&drop Nokia Drop icon to the toolbar.
First Install Nokia Drop browser extension
Install to Firefox (Firefox 3.6, 4.0 and 5.0)
Install to Chrome (Chrome 10) ›
Then Install Symbian- Nokia Drop mobile client
Download Now (.sisx, 89KB)